[Duplicity-talk] problems with decryption gpg times out
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-06 12:26:17 UTC
Hi. I am having a great deal of trouble resuming a backup. When I
started, (running as root), I changed the home directory to my actual
user id, where the gpg keys are, so I could use them for both
encryption and decryption. The backup process ended mysteriously and I
tried to restart the thing. First problem was it said unacceptable
homedir -- I guess it was not owned by root -- so I imported the keys to
root which I don't like, but what can you do. So when I tried to
restart, gpg complained inappropriate ioctl for device, after asking me
for the pass phrase. I am using a regular text console here and so I
put an export of the pass phrase into a shell script, and now I get a
gpg timeout, so I am stuck. I am using duplicity 7.06 and kernel
4.1.17.

I even tried to generate a new key, but that did not work -- at least
not after 5-7 minutes, not sure whether that would have done any guud,
anyway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-07 06:48:59 UTC
Hi. I am not getting my own messages, so I don't know if anything gets
through, but I have some more information about this problem.

I did a google search and apparently this has something to do with using
gpg 2.1. I have been trying different combinations of gpg options such
as --pinentry-mode loopback and allow-pinentry-mode in my
gpg-agent.conf, but I seem to have no way to enter my password, so I can
decrypt a volume! Not much point in backing up, if you can't restore.
Without duplicity, I can enter my password for gpg fine, but no
combination if exporting the password or not is working for me.

Please help if you can.

Thanks a lot.
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
e***@web.de
2016-05-07 08:39:27 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Hi. I am not getting my own messages, so I don't know if anything gets
through, but I have some more information about this problem.
the list works fine. check your spam folders or whatever, this message as well as the other one went through. i assume you generally receive mails from the list as you are posting here, but just in case i'll cc you directly.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
I did a google search and apparently this has something to do with using
gpg 2.1. I have been trying different combinations of gpg options such
as --pinentry-mode loopback and allow-pinentry-mode in my
gpg-agent.conf, but I seem to have no way to enter my password, so I can
decrypt a volume! Not much point in backing up, if you can't restore.
yeah, gpg decided to make it really difficult to pump passwords into gpg 2.1+ via shell. what you need is

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2015-07/msg00068.html
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Without duplicity, I can enter my password for gpg fine, but no
combination if exporting the password or not is working for me.
Please help if you can.
additionally you may want to try duply, which tests if your given gpg settings work as expected before running duplicity itself.

..ede/duply.net
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-07 13:06:04 UTC
Thanks, I will check this out. I don't know why I am not getting my
mail, I get mail from others, just not what I post. Other lists work
fine, so its strange.

***@ccs.covici.com
T. Prost
2016-05-11 19:52:27 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Thanks, I will check this out. I don't know why I am not getting my
mail, I get mail from others, just not what I post. Other lists work
fine, so its strange.
Sounds like what I'm seeing with GMail. Maybe your provider uses
asimilar structure ?
..ede/duply.net
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-11 20:09:30 UTC
I run my own mail server, so its something on the other end. If someone
wants to check the logs for mailman and for the mta its using, we can
see if a message is actually being sent to me, if so, we can proceed
from there.

***@ccs.covici.com
Kenneth Loafman
2016-05-12 12:18:51 UTC
John: I turned off nodupes in your account setup for the list. That may
help.
do you (your mail server) by any chance use blocklists . in my experience
mailing list smtp servers sometimes end up on some blocklist provider and
it'll take some time until they are removed again.
John: don't you receive any mail from the list or only the one's you sent
into the ml?
Ken: can you provide me admin access to the ml?
..ede/duply.net
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Without duplicity, I can enter my password for gpg fine, but no
combination if exporting the password or not is working for me.
Please help if you can.
additionally you may want to try duply, which tests if your given gpg
settings work as expected before running duplicity itself.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
..ede/duply.net
2016-05-12 13:59:04 UTC
Well, we shall see, I am getting two copies of the message you just
sent.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Without duplicity, I can enter my password for gpg fine, but no
combination if exporting the password or not is working for me.
Please help if you can.
additionally you may want to try duply, which tests if your given gpg
settings work as expected before running duplicity itself.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by T. Prost
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
..ede/duply.net
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
Kenneth Loafman
2016-05-12 14:06:04 UTC
Yes, one from the group, one from the list.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
wants to check the logs for mailman and for the mta its using, we can
see if a message is actually being sent to me, if so, we can proceed
from there.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Hi. I am not getting my own messages, so I don't know if
anything
Post by Kenneth Loafman
gets
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
through, but I have some more information about this problem.
the list works fine. check your spam folders or whatever, this
message as well as the other one went through. i assume you generally
receive mails from the list as you are posting here, but just in case
i'll
Post by Kenneth Loafman
cc you directly.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
I did a google search and apparently this has something to do
with
Post by Kenneth Loafman
using
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
gpg 2.1. I have been trying different combinations of gpg
options
Post by Kenneth Loafman
such
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
as --pinentry-mode loopback and allow-pinentry-mode in my
gpg-agent.conf, but I seem to have no way to enter my password,
so I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
can
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
settings work as expected before running duplicity itself.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
..ede/duply.net
2016-05-12 15:19:35 UTC
But still not getting the messages I send.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Hi. I am not getting my own messages, so I don't know if
anything
Post by Kenneth Loafman
gets
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
through, but I have some more information about this problem.
the list works fine. check your spam folders or whatever, this
message as well as the other one went through. i assume you generally
receive mails from the list as you are posting here, but just in case
i'll
Post by Kenneth Loafman
cc you directly.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
I did a google search and apparently this has something to do
with
Post by Kenneth Loafman
using
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
gpg 2.1. I have been trying different combinations of gpg
options
Post by Kenneth Loafman
such
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
as --pinentry-mode loopback and allow-pinentry-mode in my
gpg-agent.conf, but I seem to have no way to enter my password,
so I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
can
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
settings work as expected before running duplicity itself.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by e***@web.de
..ede/duply.net
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-12 17:23:17 UTC
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right now, but I
am sure this option is already set.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
But still not getting the messages I send.
My previous message to the list doesn't seems to get through at all,
so I'll take a reply to all.
You have to set the "Receive your own posts to the list?" to yes in
Kai Stian Olstad
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-12 18:12:48 UTC
As I thought, the option is set, but still not getting my own
messages,the list owner now has to tracewhat is happening to a
particular message.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right now, but I
am sure this option is already set.
No, it's also for change your subscription, in the bottom you'll see
"To unsubscribe from Duplicity-talk, get a password reminder, or
change your subscription options enter your subscription email
address:"
--
Kai Stian Olstad
How do

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
Kenneth Loafman
2016-05-12 19:16:30 UTC
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?

You run your own email server? What do the logs say about rejects? Any
rejections from nongnu.org?

***@ccs.covici.com
Kenneth Loafman

***@ccs.covici.com
Kenneth Loafman
2016-05-12 19:54:20 UTC
Odd, going to have to contact nongnu.org to get help on this one. You
should be receiving everything, maybe even dupes.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?
You run your own email server? What do the logs say about rejects?
Any
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
rejections from nongnu.org?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right
now,
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
but I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
"To unsubscribe from Duplicity-talk, get a password reminder, or
change your subscription options enter your subscription email
address:"
--
Kai Stian Olstad
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question
How do
Kenneth Loafman
2016-05-12 20:42:41 UTC
Getting help from them is going to take a bit...

Try this: Unsubscribe from the list, then resubscribe. That may clear
some flag that's not visible to the admins.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?
You run your own email server? What do the logs say about
rejects? Any
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
rejections from nongnu.org?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right
now,
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
but I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman
2016-05-12 20:51:38 UTC
OK, I can try that.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?
You run your own email server? What do the logs say about
rejects? Any
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
rejections from nongnu.org?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right
now,
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
but I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman

***@ccs.covici.com
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-12 21:07:32 UTC
So, I have unsubscribed and resubscribed, we shall see.
I did it by mail instead of the web.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?
You run your own email server? What do the logs say about
rejects? Any
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
rejections from nongnu.org?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right
now,
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
but I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman

***@ccs.covici.com
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-12 22:00:37 UTC
Well, I never got the reply to this message, so I guess you should
contact nongnu.org and they can check their logs and if message
actually went out, let me know its id and I will check with the mail
provider.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?
You run your own email server? What do the logs say about
rejects? Any
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
rejections from nongnu.org?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right
now,
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
but I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman

***@ccs.covici.com
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-12 23:44:19 UTC
OK, we have found the answer, working with my provider and some testing
we have discovered the cause.

there is a filter which rejects the message if from is my email address
and to is also my email address and its not from my domain. Now most
lists the to field points to the list and there is no problem, but your
list changes the to field to my email address and so the to and from are
the same and so its rejected. Sounds like a mailman config issue, not
something I can change, but in the list options you have.

Thanks for bearing with me in tracking this down.
John,
just for fun i activated the option that the list confirms if you post anything. do you receive confirmations now? you can disable it again on the mailman conf if you want later. the link is in the footer of every post.
questions, cause i am still not sure about these
1. you receive posts of others from the list?
2. you do _not_ receive your own posts?
3. your email provider is greenviewdata via some smtp25.com server? if yes can you ask them if eggs.gnu.org is listed in one of their blacklists.
4. how is your mail server setup. did you install it from scratch. do you have shell access? can you give details about that?
btw. the gnu.org mx server's ip4 address is currently on one blacklist.
http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3alists.gnu.org
..ede/duply.net
Post by Kenneth Loafman
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?
You run your own email server? What do the logs say about rejects?
Any
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
rejections from nongnu.org?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right
now,
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
but I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman

***@ccs.covici.com
Kai Stian Olstad
2016-05-12 20:08:41 UTC
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Odd, going to have to contact nongnu.org to get help on this one. You
should be receiving everything, maybe even dupes.
Hi Kenneth

I have sent a few messages to the list in this thread and none of them
has gone through according to the archive [1], do you now why?

[1]
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2016-05/threads.html
Kai Stian Olstad
e***@web.de
2016-05-12 20:38:16 UTC

Post by Kenneth Loafman
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?
You run your own email server? What do the logs say about rejects?
Any
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
rejections from nongnu.org?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right
now,
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
but I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman
2016-05-16 20:59:21 UTC
Yes, I am getting the acknowledgements. The reason I am not getting my
own posts is because the to and from header both are using my email
address, whereas on most other lists, the to header is to the list
itself. This would be a config issue on the admin side of the list.

Thanks.
Post by Kenneth Loafman
You seem to be getting all the messages the list sends, correct?
You run your own email server? What do the logs say about rejects?
Any
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by Kenneth Loafman
rejections from nongnu.org?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
That page is onlhy for subscribing. I can't get there right
now,
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
but I
Post by Kenneth Loafman
Post by Kenneth Loafman

***@ccs.covici.com
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-12 13:50:33 UTC
I receive all mail except the ones I sent! Are you actually sending it
-- what does mailman say?

My mailserver is fine, my mx records go to a provider which is not on
any blacklists and all other lists are working.

***@ccs.covici.com
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-05-07 13:46:41 UTC
So, with the options mentioned in the message you mentioned I got the
following:
===== Begin GnuPG log =====
gpg: encrypted with 4096-bit RSA key, ID <hidden> created 2016-05-06
"John Covici (key for backup) <hidden>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: No passphrase given
gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
===== End GnuPG log =====
I thought it would ask me for the password. I would like to have that
option if possible. But at least I have it working. One problem was
that I had a special character which I had to prefix with \ .

***@ccs.covici.com
e***@web.de

..ede/duply.net
c***@ccs.covici.com

***@ccs.covici.com
e***@web.de
2016-05-07 09:22:05 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Hi. I am having a great deal of trouble resuming a backup. When I
started, (running as root), I changed the home directory to my actual
user id, where the gpg keys are, so I could use them for both
encryption and decryption. The backup process ended mysteriously and I
tried to restart the thing. First problem was it said unacceptable
homedir -- I guess it was not owned by root -- so I imported the keys to
root which I don't like, but what can you do.
you can use the gpg options --homedir, --keyring, --secret-keyring to point to a non standard location

what's your issue to import a key into root's keyring if it is used by root as well?
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
So when I tried to
restart, gpg complained inappropriate ioctl for device, after asking me
for the pass phrase. I am using a regular text console here and so I
put an export of the pass phrase into a shell script, and now I get a
gpg timeout, so I am stuck. I am using duplicity 7.06 and kernel
4.1.17.
that's caused by the "passphrase into gpg 2.+" issue of your other email
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
I even tried to generate a new key, but that did not work -- at least
not after 5-7 minutes, not sure whether that would have done any guud,
anyway.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
here's another one.. if you are tired of the gpg 2.1 hassle simply use the latest gpg 2.0 or 1.4

..ede/duply.net