[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity slowdown in recent versions
Nate Eldredge
2016-05-02 01:22:39 UTC
Since upgrading to duplicity 0.7.07 (and .1), duplicity seems to run much
slower on my laptop.

Here's the statistics from an incremental I just made:

StartTime 1462149063.53 (Sun May 1 18:31:03 2016)
EndTime 1462151309.47 (Sun May 1 19:08:29 2016)
ElapsedTime 2245.94 (37 minutes 25.94 seconds)
SourceFiles 520542
SourceFileSize 20587677590 (19.2 GB)
NewFiles 1981
NewFileSize 497197027 (474 MB)
DeletedFiles 227
ChangedFiles 4317
ChangedFileSize 789344912 (753 MB)
ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeltaEntries 6525
RawDeltaSize 870800322 (830 MB)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 221858632 (212 MB)
Errors 0

I noted that most of this was CPU time; the duplicity process consumed
about 35 minutes of CPU during this 37 minute run, and the process was at
100% CPU for most of the run (except when copying files to the backend via
ssh, which probably accounts for the remaining 2 minutes). This included
long periods when no files were being added (nothing being shown by -v6),
so I don't think this time is being spent on data encryption.

With previous versions, an incremental like this would typically have
taken 5-10 minutes.

It could conceivably be a coincidence caused by changes in python or the
kernel, but I was wondering if there were any specific changes to
duplicity that may have caused this.

Thanks!
--
Nate Eldredge
***@thatsmathematics.com
Nate Eldredge
2016-05-02 03:35:35 UTC
Post by Nate Eldredge
Since upgrading to duplicity 0.7.07 (and .1), duplicity seems to run much
slower on my laptop.
Oh, perhaps it is this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1576389

I am using an excludes file with 29 patterns.
--
Nate Eldredge
***@thatsmathematics.com