[Duplicity-talk] Predicting size of ~/.config/duplicity/
William Furnass
2016-03-30 09:29:00 UTC

I'm wanting to use LVM2 to create snapshots of my home and root
partitions then back up those using duplicity to ensure that I get
point-in-time backups. The issue I have at present is knowing how
much space to allocate to my root snapshot, which is typically a
function of how much churn there is under /root/.config/duplicity.

Is there a calculation that gives me a worst case estimate for how
much might be changed/written in .config/duplicity over the course of
a backup, using e.g. the total number of files in non-excluded
directories?

Cheers,

Will
Kenneth Loafman
2016-03-30 12:07:58 UTC
Interesting question. I don't have a real answer for the general case, but
basic assumptions may give you an idea:

1. compression and encryption only affect the target file size
2. manifest files take up about 300 bytes per volume plus the file list
3. sigtar files take 4 bytes per block depending on file size
1. under 10k the block size is 512
2. over 10k the block size is given by
file_blocksize = int((file_len / (2000 * 512)) * 512)
return min(file_blocksize, globals.max_blocksize)

So, as you can see, the size is dependent on too many variables that change
with each user's situation.

...Ken
interesting question. any idea? ..ede